Is Devils Ivy Poisonous to Birds?

Devils ivy, also known as pothos or Epipremnum aureum, is a popular houseplant due to its hardiness and ability to thrive in low light conditions. It is also known for its attractive foliage, which can be variegated with yellow or white. While it is not toxic to humans, it can be poisonous to birds if ingested.

What Makes Devils Ivy Poisonous?

The leaves of devils ivy contain insoluble calcium oxalates, which are sharp crystals that can cause irritation and burning if ingested. These crystals can damage the digestive tract of birds, leading to vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms of poisoning. In severe cases, it can even lead to death.

How Can I Keep My Bird Safe?

If you have a pet bird in your home, it is important to keep devils ivy out of reach. Make sure that the plant is placed in an area where your bird cannot access it, such as on a high shelf or in a room that your bird does not have access to. Additionally, make sure that any cuttings or trimmings from the plant are disposed of properly so that your bird cannot get into them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *