Are Swiss Cheese Plants Toxic to Birds?

The Swiss cheese plant (Monstera deliciosa) is a popular houseplant that is known for its large, heart-shaped leaves with holes in them. While this plant is generally considered safe for humans and other animals, it can be toxic to birds if ingested.

Toxicity of Swiss Cheese Plants

Swiss cheese plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are toxic to birds if ingested. These crystals can cause irritation and burning in the mouth and throat, as well as difficulty breathing. In severe cases, ingestion of these crystals can lead to death.

Preventing Toxicity

To prevent toxicity from occurring, it is important to keep your Swiss cheese plant out of reach of birds. If you have an outdoor garden or patio area where birds may visit, make sure the plant is not accessible to them. Additionally, if you have pet birds inside your home, make sure they cannot access the plant.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *